Indiana Onsite Wastewater Professionals Association (IOWPA) is a 501(c)3 organization serving the onsite wastewater industry and its professionals. Members include system installers, inspectors, designers, soil scientists, pumpers and transporters, manufacturers and vendors, and state and local health department officials. We are committed to furthering the industry while serving the best interests of the public and protecting the environment.
IOWPA is seeking its next Executive Director to support the Board of Directors and provide service to members while helping IOWPA progress as an organization.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors through the Board President.
This is a contracted position with hours and schedule to be set by the contractor as needed to complete the work, allowing for events and commitments that will be managed on a set schedule. Contractor will work from their home office and will be responsible for their own office setup as well as all employee-related benefits. Location near Indianapolis is preferred, but the successful candidate could reside elsewhere in Indiana. We do not require that IOWPA is the contractor’s only client, but they will need to be publicly recognized as the Executive Director of IOWPA and have the time and flexibility to meet the position requirements. Monthly contract payments are negotiable based on pertinent experience.
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Executive Director serves as the chief operating officer under the direction of the Board of Directors and manages the overall operations of the organization, implementing policies set by the board, and supporting the membership.
Major Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as liaison to the board and committees
a) Advise chairs, prepare agendas, provide supporting documents
b) Attend all meetings
c) Prepare and distribute minutes as needed
d) Research areas of interest or concern to provide background information for decision making
- Manage all day-to-day communications
a) Phone, fax, email, regular mail
b) Work with designer to produce monthly email newsletter and quarterly magazine
c) Oversee website and social media updates
d) Initiate special communications as needed to keep membership informed
- Oversee all financial activities
a) Prepare and monitor annual budget with the Board
b) Prepare monthly financials and alert board to any concerns
c) Manage bank account(s) and accounting software
d) Pay all bills, recording appropriately in accounting software, adhering to organization’s financial policies
e) Invoice, accept and record all payments
- Manage and serve membership
a) Maintain all membership records, entering new memberships, tracking renewals
b) Keep website directories updated and accurate
c) Support certification training, testing and continuing education. Keep accurate records
d) Respond promptly to member inquiries in a courteous manner, enlisting the help of board members and others as needed
- Oversee Annual Conference Activities and other continuing education activities
a) Manage all marketing, registration, and site preparation for events
b) Serve as support for the Conference Committee in planning conference content
c) Oversee all registration and operational functions during conference
d) Serve as point person for other educational activities during the year, including Field Day, certification reviews and testing and special learning opportunities
- Assist with the complaints process, receiving, acknowledging and informing officers or committees as appropriate
Executive Director Qualifications:
- Proven leadership and management skills
- Able to take initiative and work independently
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Flexible, able to manage a changing schedule
- Excellent communication skills
- Collaborative, helpful manner in working with diverse constituencies
- Able to travel within Indiana with occasional overnights
- Background in accounting or financial management; QuickBooks experience a definite plus
- Nonprofit or association management experience
- Work-from-home experience helpful
- Event planning experience preferred
Please send a thoughtful cover letter, resumé, and three professional references that we may contact now to Joan Brown, Interim Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 19.